Today has been quite an adventure, as traveling always is... This morning I woke up and left my house in Kirkland, Washington at 9:25 AM. My mom and I drove to REI (an outdoor sporting goods store) to pick up some extra luggage tags and a bag to put my hiking bag in so that I could check it. I arrived at the airport to find an enormous line for security! With 45 minutes to go until boarding I was concerned. Right as I was able to see the metal detector in front of me, a security officer came over to the 20 people in front of me and said that the machines were broken. At this point, I started to wonder if the "Friday the 13th" superstition had some truth to it. The security officer then funneled us to a machine behind us (in Sea-Tac Airport to get to Gate N the security machines are staggered). I had about 20 minutes left before boarding and I still needed to take the tram! Luckily, I was far enough back in the line that I was funneled through first! I made it to the plane on time and even had a minute to spare to get a bottle of water!
Now I am in Dallas, Texas. They say that everything is bigger and better in Texas… Well everything is definitely bigger! After boarding my plane in Seattle, the couple that sat next to me introduced themselves. They were very kind and had the true Texas cheer. The husband said to me, “well I hope the plane can take off. On my Alaskan cruise I sure ate a lot!” Like the rest of the people sitting around me, he was a larger man. This is real America for you - my hotel is surrounded by steakhouses and burger joints!
It was 104 degrees and humid this afternoon in Dallas. Luckily it will be cooler when I arrive in Ankara on Sunday… 98 degrees (but no humidity)! Tomorrow, I plan to leave my hotel around 11 AM to navigate the Dallas airport. Below is my itinerary:
Leave Dallas on Saturday at 4:20 PM
Arrive in Frankfurt on Sunday at 9:15 AM
Leave Frankfurt on Sunday at 3 PM
Arrive in Ankara on Sunday at 7:20 PM
*Please note that I will be going through many time zones, so the flights are not as long as they seem.
When I arrive in Ankara, the Pitzer Coordinator in Turkey will take me to my host family. I am not sure yet if I will have Internet access at their house so stay tuned and be patient.
No comments:
Post a Comment