Here are some photo's of Kocetepe. It is the mosque I was explaining earlier. It can hold up to 110,000 people at one time. Ayse explained to me that next month she will go there to celebrate Muhammad's ascension to heaven. Under Kocetepe is a very large super market. It is very ironic that I could eat under the mosque while people fast for Ramadan above. Kocetepe is also in Kizilay and has huge boulevards underneath it.
On Friday morning I was walking by Kocetepe with Cydney and we saw huge crowds of men. There were many helicopters circling and police around. We saw that in the middle of the crowd was a man that looked very familiar. The man got in a motorcade. As he drove toward us he opened his window and waved to us. It was the president of Turkey! No one was around us, so the President was personally waving at us!
Some Turkish pronunciations:
*Kocetepe is Ko-ja-te-pe
*Mosque in Turkish is Camii or Ja-a-mee
*Ramadan in Turkish is Ramazan
*Ayse is A-ee-shey
No comments:
Post a Comment