Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Eat...aly

One of my favorite places to eat is in Italy. While I travel I am a vegetarian (at home I am mostly vegan), so that I can taste my way though new cultures. In Italy it is very hard for me to resist good gnocchi, spaghetti, pizza, calzones, spinach pies, focaccia, gelato, cannoli, etc. This weekend was no exception when I traveled with my friend from Pitzer, Erika, to Milan and Venice (Erika is teaching English in Madrid).

Erika and I met in Milan, the fashion capitol of Italy! Before boarding the plane to Milan many people were taking photos of a tall woman, who presumably was a model returning to her home. And as soon as I touched down, I saw designer labels everywhere! While in Milan, Erika and I walked around the city and visited the Duomo (cathedral) and its square. We also visited a castle, and explored both a flea and a Christmas Market. The Christmas Market here definitely had an Italian flare, as most of its shops sold cheese, spices, meat, and sweets. There are many interpretations of the Italian flags green, white, and red colors, but an Italian friend of mine explained that the political and religious explanations are incorrect. In fact, green is for basil, white is for cheese and pasta, and red is for tomatoes or tomato sauce. All of these are staples in an Italian diet and were sold at the Christmas Market. While I did enjoy all the veg-friendly, delicious goodies Italy has to offer, I also enjoyed eating some Nepali/Tibetan momos (dumplings). There was a large international festival in Milan's convention center. I went and practiced my Nepali with people from Nepal, and Erika spoke Spanish with people from Ecuador (where she studied abroad) and some Italians.

After Milan we took a train to Venice to see its canals and various sights. I officially never have to go to the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas because I have been to the real place! Although I experienced Milan and Venice at their coldest, and I hear the hotel is always warm and sunny! When I flew into Milan, the Alps looked clear and when I left they were snow capped! It also snowed a little in Venice, dusting the narrow streets and gondolas. Venice is made up of many different islands, and we stayed on a more residential island called Lido. To get from our hotel to the Grand Canal, St. Mark's Basilica, Rialto Fish Market, etc., we had to take a boat ride. We took many boat rides and walked over many small bridges to visit all the places on our list. It may have been the weather or time of year, but Venice was a little more run down than I had imagined. Regardless, the Christmas decorations, architecture, sea, and food made the trip so worth it!

Happy latke eating, dreidle playing, present opening, song singing, candle lighting, and Hanukkah to those who celebrate!

Milan's Duomo and square:


Venice's Tesoro della Basilica di San Marco, gondolas, Grand Canal, Rialto Bridge, and a smaller canal:





No comments:

Post a Comment