For the past few days my Aamaa in Kathmandu has been harvesting her many fields of wheat, with the help of a few other neighbor women and one man. I have gone into the fields to help cut the wheat a few times now, and have found it to be very hard work. At some points during the threshing process I was able to relax and reflect on my experiences here and the upcoming events that will take place in my life over the next year. At other points I watched the other women and wondered why my two days of experience did not make me as fast of a worker as them. At the end of the day, both my Aamaa and I were tired, our backs ached, our hands were callused, and our nails full of dirt. Miraculously, I was the only one with bugs bites. Yesterday I realized that although I would love to think that I could become a farmer and live off my own subsistence if I wanted to, I am just not cut out for the job. While I will continue to help my Aamaa as she prepares her fields to plant new crops, my farming career will stay in Nepal when I leave. When I "grow-up" a small pea-patch or backyard vegetable and herb garden will have to suffice.
While I have been in the physical fields, I have also been in the social fields. I am currently reading and attempting to setup interviews for my final project in Nepal (my language and culture class' finals were in Simigaau and that portion of my studies is now complete). I am hoping to conduct many interviews with government officials, former politicians, and everyday Nepali people about the evolution of the political parties in Nepal. I have about one month to conduct this project, and I am no where near being done, but I am constantly finding new interesting details about politics in Nepal. Nepal has a history of militia-led and social rebellions, and over the years many of these militant groups have transformed into legitimate political parties. The use of physical force in politics is what interests me most, especially because small mountainous countries like Nepal tend to be exhibit this type of political behavior. It is also interesting to watch how the Nepali government is changing. They are a new democracy and currently working on a new constitution, since the last constitution that was promulgated in 1990, was based on a constitutional monarchy, and there has been a major revolution since then. I must note that there are currently no political revolutions of violent acts going on that I am aware of. I feel safe!
All in all, I may be destined to be more on the research end of field work than the getting muddy version. However, I appreciate both and I am open to the idea that my life my take me to many other types of fields, before I settle on one.
No comments:
Post a Comment