In late October my grandfather, Ernest Stiefel passed away. After his death I was at a loss of words. How could I tell you, the readers of my blog, how I felt? When I returned from my trip home for the funnel, I could not bring myself to put my feelings into a written expression. I have always considered my grandfather, whom I called Opa, to be an inspiration and hero. He was a Holocaust survivor, a community organizer, a businessman, a family man, and as cliché as it sounds, the smartest man I have ever known. While the traditional Jewish grieving period has passed, the feeling of loss continues to linger.
Throughout the past five months I have traveled to Greece, Italy, Hungary, and Austria. I have traveled within Turkey to Pamukkale, Ephesus, Selcuk, Istanbul, Trabzon, Hattusa, Antalya, etc… This morning I had to pack up all my memories and lessons learned and fit them into a mere duffle bag. The tangible and intangible cannot even begin to fit. Everything I have learned about the Turkish culture, my own culture, and myself I will now bring with me to Nepal.
As this experience comes to a close and I embark on the next, I must share what I am thankful for: I have met so many wonderful people from around the globe, who have taught me invaluable lessons. I have had amazing teachers and interesting classes, and finally finals are done! I have tried new foods and often felt the consequences… I have experienced Ankara in the summer heat, fall breeze, and winter snow. In Turkey, I have learned that the word hospitality means so much more then I ever thought it would.
Yesterday it snowed again in Ankara and whiped my slate clean. From here I go to Austria, the Czech Republic, Israel, Jordan, and then Nepal. My New Years resolution will be to write on this blog more often. However, the extent of my Internet access in Nepal is a bit unknown. While I head into more unknowns, I must recognize how much I have learned and grown here in Turkey. I know that I am well prepared to tackle any challenge that comes my way.
Güle güle Türkiye... seninle çok iyi zaman geçirdik... belki bir gün tekrar bir araya geliriz...
Thanks for writing about your grandfather. May his memory be a blessing.
ReplyDeleteWe'll be happy to read whatever you have time and ability to post.
xo
Judy T
I'm very happy to see you blogging again. We missed your stories and pictures. Tomorrow night we'll see your parents and will look forward to hearing stories about you. Travel safely throughout all your adventures.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Aunt Adele